Dog Friendly Britain Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big boy Blue

5 posters

Go down

Big boy Blue Empty Big boy Blue

Post  witchy Mon May 30, 2011 5:39 am

Big boy Blue was 9 on February 2nd which is quite old for a big boy like him. He hasn't seemed old until the last couple of months, this winter he still caught a couple of rabbits even. He was still out all day with husband and the tractor every day until recently.
Over the last couple of months he has got rapidly slower and to-day he couldn't jump into he back of the pick up when he tried. I think he's lost weight too but husband doesn't, my eyes are however better at aseessing than his are.

I'm concerned that he may have a disorder that has brought on the rapid loss of vigour rather than just old age. I don't want to take him for investigations unnecessarily as sedation for an Xray could kill him at his size and age. He shows no sign of being in pain he has just slowed enormously.

It's making me feel really sad and I'm not sure what if anything to do about it. The vet would come and check him over here if I asked but he couldn't do much if he did do and I don't want to upset Blue. Sad Sad Sad
witchy
witchy
Normal Member
Normal Member

http://www.hafodelwyhall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Big boy Blue Empty Re: Big boy Blue

Post  Admin Mon May 30, 2011 10:21 am

Poor blue x I'm sorry witchy
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://dfbforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutley Tue May 31, 2011 12:47 am

Poor Blue. Poor you too.

I'm sure he'll let you know when he needs your help.
Mutley
Mutley
Normal Member
Normal Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mummysnoo Tue May 31, 2011 3:33 am

Witchy, I would think it is the aging process, older dogs go to great lenghts not to show weakness especially when living with other dogs, as in the wild dog pack, but every now and again, when there guard is down, they will shows signs of aging, and slowing down is one of those signs, I'm by no means a Vet, but I would have to add here, if he isn't showing any signs of illness or pain, I would let things be, he will no doubt show you in his own way, if he is suffering. Just keep loving and treating him the way you have always done and for you info, I have posted an item for you to peruse at yopur will:-

The onset of mature years. From a Vet’s Diary.

We asked a friend of ours recently if she would be willing to contribute a photo of her two dogs, who are 7 and 9 years old, to our Senior Dogs Project. She bristled a little and then said, "My dogs aren't senior! They don't act old. They run and jump and play just as they always have."
In the 1970's, dogs generally lived 7 or 8 years. Now, a dog might be looking at 10 to 15 years of life. (Source: American Veterinary Hospital Association)
Like people, dogs are individual in the way they age. Certain breeds, mixed breeds, and, in general, smaller dogs tend to live longer. A small dog of less than 20 pounds might not seem to show any signs of age until she is 12 or so. A 50-pound dog won't seem old until about 10. Larger dogs begin to show their age at 8 or 9.
Tufts University published the following guidelines for defining a senior dog: "The point at which a dog qualifies as 'aged' varies. Veterinarians generally consider small dogs to be senior citizens at about 12 years of age, while large dogs reach the senior stage at 6 to 8 years of age. This roughly corresponds to the 55-plus category in people."
What are the signs of aging and what should you do about them? One of the first signs of aging is slowing down. It will take your dog longer to get up and get started from a lying position, longer to climb stairs (one at a time, rather than two). Some of these changes are natural, but it is important not to overlook changes that may be symptoms of a condition needing treatment.
Never assume that a change in behavior or habits is simply due to old age; it may be due to a treatable condition. An excellent example is that cited by Dr. Robin Downing, DVM, who reports: "Molly wasn't leaping on and off the beds anymore, and she didn't want to go for long walks. Her family was worried that this dog had just suddenly succumbed to old age, but when I did a geriatric workup on her, we discovered Molly had a thyroid condition and arthritic back pain. A maintenance prescription of thyroid replacement hormone, pain and anti-inflammatory medication for the osteo-arthritis in her back, and Molly was back in business. In fact, three years later, her owners tell me Molly is more active than she's been in years!" (Healthy Pet magazine, Spring/Summer 2000, p. 13.)
Diseases occur in older dogs that are not usually seen in young dogs, such as arthritis, diabetes, Cushing's disease, cancer, and kidney, heart, and liver diseases. Blood tests done by a veterinarian will screen for many of these diseases, which is the reason that your veterinarian will do such tests during an annual visit. However, you can also be instrumental in keeping your older dog healthy by:
· keeping his weight down (through good nutrition and regular exercise)
· keeping his teeth clean (next to obesity, periodontal disease is the one most commonly seen in the vet's office)
· getting him to the vet for regular check-ups
· being observant about symptoms that might indicate a health problem and getting prompt and appropriate veterinary attention (information below).
Genetic Background -- Some breeds are known to have specific health problems. Golden Retrievers and large breeds, for example, are known to develop arthritis in back and hips as they age.
Nutrition -- Good nutrition will retard the aging process.
Illnesses & Disease -- A serious illness or disease can shorten a dog's life.
Control of Environmental Factors -- Keeping your dog and his environment clean and free of parasites will increase the chances of long life.

Sudden loss of weight can be extremely serious. Take your dog to the vet as soon as possible.
Serious loss of appetite -- to the point that your dog is eating almost nothing. See your vet right away.
Increase in appetite without increase in weight may mean diabetes. Get to the vet as soon as possible.
Diarrhea or vomiting, if it lasts more than a day can be a sign of many problems. Don't wait to see the vet.
Increased thirst, without a change in activity level, and increased urination are other signs of diabetes. Your dog should be tested as soon as possible.
Tiring more quickly than when younger is normal as a dog ages, but may also be a sign of disease affecting the heart or lungs. Be alert to your dog's becoming excessively out of breath after minimal exercise. Have your vet check for cardio-pulmonary problems as soon as possible, if you notice such symptoms. If the vet determines all is normal, you can continue an exercise program, but modify it in order not to overtax your dog.
Coughing and excessive panting may indicate heart disease. If these symptoms persist even after you've modified your dog's exercise program, visit the vet.
Difficulty in getting up from a lying position, or other problems with moving may indicate arthritis. Your vet will be able to advise you on ways you can relieve your dog's discomfort and lack of mobility.
Problems with vision and hearing are natural as a dog ages. Accommodate these changes as best you can -- by not changing the location of furniture, for example, or clapping instead of calling your dog's name when he no longer seems able to hear you.
Graying hair and drying skin are sure signs of aging. More attention to grooming and the introduction of massage will help the condition of the skin and coat.
Behavioral changes that you may see in your older dog include:
Separation anxiety....you may note that when you leave your older dog alone, she become destructive or barks or whines or loses control of elimination
Sensitivity to noise....thunderstorms that never bothered him before may now make your older dog tremble
Vocalizing....may be due to loss of hearing or to separation anxiety
Uncharacteristic aggression....may be due to painful joints, a drug reaction, or intolerance for new people and new circumstances; your older dog likes things to remain the same
Confusion, lack of attentiveness, disorientation....
Roaming in circles, barking at nothing, being withdrawn....
Elimination accidents....
If your dog is acting abnormally in any of the above ways, consult your vet right away.
mummysnoo
mummysnoo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  witchy Tue May 31, 2011 6:04 am

THank you for that, he was panting a lot last night but I put it down to the heat and he has ben more hungry. I'm going o get the vet to call out and see him and take a blood sample. REading the info makes me think better safe than sorry. VEt won't mind as he gets paid for the call out.
witchy
witchy
Normal Member
Normal Member

Back to top Go down

Post  maggieh Tue May 31, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi Witchy, really sorry to hear about your worries. We're going through a similar thing with Billy and these problems he's having with his joints. I was out with them both yesterday and he's clearly lame and unable to run, he's always loved playing catch with Josh but just can't manage at the moment. He's only 7 but I found myself wondering what we'll do if the new treatment doesn't work, how long do you carry on and how do you assess the impact on his quality of life if he can't ever run again? Its really tough so I can empathise with your situation. Good luck and as always trust your instincts Smile

maggieh
Normal Member
Normal Member

Back to top Go down

Post  witchy Tue May 31, 2011 10:33 pm

I've asked the vet to come out and give him a thourough check up today plus take blood to check for diabetes and thyriod problems. I'll kep you posted.

Sorry to hear about Billy worries Maggie. It is so heartrbreaking to see them deteriorating isn't it.
witchy
witchy
Normal Member
Normal Member

Back to top Go down

Post  witchy Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:57 am

No sinister problems in the blood tests and his heart seems fine. Vet reckons it is some arthritis setting in. At 9 and 4 months for such a big dog that isn't surprising really I guess. Anyway, a course of painkillers to see if he perks up a bit.
witchy
witchy
Normal Member
Normal Member

Back to top Go down

Post  maggieh Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Good news indeed, glad there's nothing too worrying. Billy's had his first dose of this new long acting anti-inflammatory drug, he'll have another in 2 weeks then monthly after that. I may be imagining things but I think he seems more comfortable already and less lame around the house although he's still struggling when out and about. Fingers crossed for both Blue and Billy. Smile
Maggie

maggieh
Normal Member
Normal Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum