Dog Friendly Britain Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harness Recommendations Needed Please

4 posters

Go down

Harness Recommendations Needed Please Empty Harness Recommendations Needed Please

Post  mamfa Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:23 am

We are taking Pippin on holiday with us and need reccomendations for a good harness / collar / contraption to reduce her pulling (or at least make it a little easier on my back)
It is entirely our fault Embarassed she doesn't walk well on the lead as we hardly ever use one as we mainly walk her in the fields and woods etc and she just walks at the side of us or only ever 2-3 of feet infront / behind (unless she's swimming or playing fetch).... but on holiday we are going to sometimes be in crowded areas or by roads so she will need to be on a lead and once on one she is like a different dog.
We go away in 5 weeks and would like to get her used to walking nicely on lead Smile
mamfa
mamfa
Normal Member
Normal Member

Back to top Go down

Harness Recommendations Needed Please Empty Re: Harness Recommendations Needed Please

Post  Mutley Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi Mamfa,

I've only tried one harness, a Halti with a double lead. It's the harness type, rather than the headcollar type http://www.halti.co.uk/haltiharness.php and Molly gets on with it very well. The harness part is quite narrow, I'm not sure how comfortable it would be with a bigger dog, but it works very well for us. When we're away from busy roads, I like to remove the long lead from under her chin and just use it with the lead clipped between her shoulder blades, it gives her a bit more space. It's been a great help to us as, like you, Molly's never on the lead very much, so I've not spent enough time teaching her not to pull, at least this way, we can enjoy our walks together without me worrying about the strain she puts on her neck!

A friend of mine has a large dog (leonberger) and she uses the headcollar Halti. She thinks it's great now, but her dog hated it at first, so it took more getting used to because of having something around the muzzle, than just the harness Halti.

xx

Last edited by Mutley on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:03 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Fix URL)
Mutley
Mutley
Normal Member
Normal Member

Back to top Go down

Harness Recommendations Needed Please Empty Re: Harness Recommendations Needed Please

Post  mamfa Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks Mutley.

I went into my local pet shop to see what they recommended (putting money back into the community and all that) and despite their advertisement that they are all about what's 'best for your pet' the only harness they wanted me to buy was a pink leather contraption that they admitted took half an hour to put together and cost £150 Shocked Evil or Very Mad Now I'm all for Pippin looking good, and it did match her collar but honestly £150 is not something I'm willing to pay out when there are much cheaper and more suitable products out there and I don't have 30 minutes to spare every time we go for a walk!
Guess that will be the last time I go in there for advice - I should of realised when I saw they were selling kittens for £120 Rolling Eyes
mamfa
mamfa
Normal Member
Normal Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutley Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi Mamfa,

I seem to remember that the harness and lead together cost me about £12 in total and that was from our local vet, so not the cheapest. I'd want gold plating for £120! Pink's nice though... !!

I just remembered, we also have a car safe harness for Molly to wear in the car, it's much wider and has a soft plate on the breastbone and it has a short "lead" bit that clicks into the seat belt clip, so she can be on the back seat while driving. She's absolutely fine with it in the car, but I don't trust it for walkies as she's discovered that it doesn't attach to her collar like the Halti, so, if she's quick enough, she can reverse out of it flower

xx
Mutley
Mutley
Normal Member
Normal Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gazab44 Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:41 am

Bought one of these for Jorge, worked brilliant, but didn,t suit him due to his short snout Sad Sad Sad

http://www.cannydogcollar.co.uk/?gclid=CKqD49yeuKkCFQRP4QodXGrk9g
gazab44
gazab44
Normal Member
Normal Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cavalierfran Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:35 am

My friend tried a Walkezee harness for her large GSD today and it was brilliant. He didn't mind wearing it (unlike his headcollar which he hated) and she felt she had more control than with a headcollar.

Fran
cavalierfran
cavalierfran
Normal Member
Normal Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down